OK. Hold on. Just hold your horses. I know what you’re thinking. She’s absolutely crazy. Detroit?! No way.
But before you think I’m absolutely insane, hear me out.
As you’ve probably gathered from my previous posts, I’m a native Michigander, and a Metro-Detroiter at that–so I’m partial to my city. And despite the bad things you hear (yes, Detroit has some bad parts, so does every big city), there are a lot of awesome things to see here. Here are the 10 top reasons I think you should visit Detroit.
1) We have a beautiful Riverfront with easy access to Canada.
2) We have three awesome casinos.
3) We have a Mexicantown with awesome food and also a Greektown with awesome food.
4) We have some delicious creperies and bakeries and a barbeque restaurant that is famous around the country.
5) We have an art museum, The Detroit Institute of Arts, that has original work from artists like Monet, Van Gogh, and Degas, ancient Greek art, mummies, and a lot of art work from local artists as well.
6) We have a huge science museum.
7) Detroit is the home of the three largest auto manufacturers in the world.
8) Eminem lives here (even though you probably won’t see him, sorry).
9) Detroit has lots of cool clubs and bars.
10) You can tell all your friends you visited Detroit.
So come visit. Because honestly, we really want you to. No really ever says “Hey! Let’s go visit Detroit!” They’re scared to. The media puts these thoughts in our heads that everything here is bad. OK, so we’re not New York City. Or Chicago. We can’t compete. But really, if you look beyond the bad things and the stereotypes, and you do your research and know where you’re going, you’ll be OK and you’ll be safe, and you’ll find all the wonderful things Detroit has to offer. You can even stay outside the city and come visit during the day. But I really felt like I had to put in a plug for Detroit. Because we real Detroiters just want people to recognize us for the good parts, and not the bad.